Short stay visa for French overseas territories
The French overseas territories concerned by this page are :
- Saint Martin
- Saint Barthelemy
- French Guiana
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- French Polynesia
- New Caledonia
- Wallis and Futuna
- French austral territories
YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries even if you hold a US Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") :
|Bermuda [*]||Bhutan||Bosnia [*]|
|Botswana||Brazil [*]||Burkina Faso|
|Cameroon||Cape Verde||Cayman Islands [*]|
|Central Africa||Chad||China [*]|
|China – Hong Kong [*]||China – Macao [*]||China – Taiwan [*]|
|D.R. Congo (ex-Zaire)||Cuba||Djibouti|
|Dominica [*]||Dominican Republic||Ecuador|
|Grenade [*]||Guinea||Guinea Bissau|
|Mongolia||Montenegro [*]||Montserrat [*]|
|Nigeria||North Korea||Oman [*]|
|Qatar [*]||Refugees||Russia [*]|
|Saudi Arabia||Senegal||Serbia [*]|
|Sierra Leone||Somalia||South Africa [*]|
|South Sudan||Sri Lanka||St Lucia [*]|
|St Thomas||St Vincent [*]||Sudan|
|Togo||Tonga||Trinidad and Tobago [*]|
|Turks and Caicos [*]||Tuvalu||Uganda|
|Ukraine [*]||United Arab Emirates [*]||Uzbekistan|
- If you hold a diplomatic or an official passport, please contact us.
- If you hold a long stay visa issued by a Schengen state, please contact us.
NO, if you are an American citizen or hold a passport issued by a country NOT listed above, you do not need any visa to enter a French Overseas Territories as a tourist for a short stay less than 90 days.
However, if the purpose of your trip is NOT tourism, then you may still be required to get a visa before your departure (please check with us).
No, you have to apply for a specific visa, allowing you to visit these territories.
For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 12, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Chicago.
Please bear in mind that applications cannot be processed more than 3 months before your departure date.
The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.
Minors must apply with their parents at the French Consulate. (or a person with the authority if the parents are out of the country).
To use the system, the following configuration is required :
Firefox 1.0 and higher
Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment .
No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.
Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.
Processing time can take from one to three weeks. Please check with us, mentioning your citizenship.
ATTENTION: please read this important announcement before preparing your file:
The Consulate will, in no circumstance, make any photocopies and files can no longer be completed at a later stage.
All the files presented will be carefully examined by the Visa Department. However, we wish to emphasize the fact that if you do not produce all the requested documents (originals with their photocopies), the visa will be denied.
No exception will be made. For this reason, we do advise you to prepare your file with the utmost care in order to avoid any delays.
- Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
- Processing fee
- One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations)
- One US passport size photo on a white background with no glasses and no hat and please do not smile
- A U.S. permanent residence card ("green card") or a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20, or an Advance Parole document (+ ONE COPY)
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence
- If the country of final destination is not the applicant’s country of citizenship, please submit a valid visa, a resident permit, a work permit or any other document (+ ONE COPY) showing that the applicant is allowed to enter or reside in such country
- Proof of socio-professional status :
- letter of employment in the U.S confirming your salary, hire date, position and dates of vacation (business registration if self employed)
- and your last 3 paystubs (+ ONE COPY)
- or letter from your school or university confirming your enrollment status, attendance and anticipated graduation date
- Proof of financial means : your last 3 bank statements
- Your travel itinerary : you MUST BOOK your airline ticket but do not purchase until the visa has been approved
- Proof of medical coverage abroad : you must bring proof of a valid overseas medical insurance with a minimum coverage of 50,000 US for emergencies and repatriation and NO deductible or co-pay. The letter provided by your insurance company MUST clearly state these conditions.
- Proof of accomodation :
- Confirmed hotel reservations for your entire stay in the Schengen states
- or a letter from your travel agent stating that you are part of a tour.
- or, if you are staying with friends or family, original of "Attestation d’Accueil" that your host has to request at the City Hall (Mairie) in France
- For a business trip: please also provide a letter from your employer in the US or from your host company in France stating that you are in France on behalf of the company, giving the name and address of the contact person(s) in France and guaranteeing full responsibility for expenses, lodging, and return to the United States
- If the applicant is under 18 years old and travelling without his parents:
- notarized copy of his (her) birth certificate
- notarized authorization from both parents allowing their child to travel to France or from the parent exercising full custody of the child according to the divorce decree
- if you are divorced : certified copy of divorce decree stating that you have full custody of the child(ren)
- A self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY - NO FEDEX / UPS / AIRBORNE EXPRESS accepted.You may use one envelope per family if you buy `flat rate`
Please do NOT stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :
|CONSULATE GENERAL OF FRANCE|
205N. Michigan Ave, Suite 3700
CHICAGO, IL 60601
|Your full name|
- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- Please note that holders of visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into France. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter France.
Last update: 10/20/2017