Short stay visa for diplomatic or official passport holders
YES, if you are a citizen of the following countries:
|Armenia ||Azerbaidjan ||Bahrein |
|Benin ||Bhutan||Bosnia |
|Cape Verde||Central Africa||Chad|
|Jordan ||Kazakhstan ||Kenya|
|St Lucia||St Thomas||Saudi Arabia |
|Senegal ||Serbia ||Sierra Leone|
|Tonga||Trinidad and Tobago||Turkmenistan|
Please note that not needing a visa for France does NOT mean that you do not need one to visit other Schengen countries.
For security reasons, all applicants, except children under the age of 6, have to appear personally at the Consulate General of France in Chicago.
Please bear in mind that applications cannot be processed more than 3 months before your departure date.
The visa section is open to the public on an appointment basis, with no walk-ins allowed.
To use the system, the following configuration is required :
Firefox 1.0 and higher
Mozilla 1.7.8 and higher
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher
Adobe Acrobat reader and higher
IF YOU CANNOT PRINT YOUR CONFIRMATION RECEIPT IT IS NOT A PROBLEM. Simply show up on the date and time of your appointment.
No appointment can be made by phone or by e-mailing us. If you are not able to attend, please free a slot by canceling your appointment.
Make sure you bring all the required documents when coming to the Consulate General.
For US official and diplomatic passport, the processing time can take up to one week.
For any other official or diplomatic passport, depending on the nationality, the processing time can take up to 15 days.
- Original passport or travel document (+ ONE COPY of the identity pages). Your passport must have been issued less than 10 years ago, be valid for at least three months after your return to the US and have at least 2 blank visas pages left.
- One application form filled out completely and signed by the applicant (please read carefully the explanations).
- One ID picture glued/stapled onto the application form (white background, full face, no glasses nor hat, closed mouth)
- If you are not a US citizen, a valid US visa with valid I-94 / valid I-20} (+ ONE COPY)}. It must be valid for at least three months after the last day of your stay in the Schengen area.
We do NOT accept applications from B1/B2 visa holders. They must apply in their country of residence.
- Verbal note from your Embassy or the US Department of State.
- A self-addressed prepaid EXPRESS MAIL envelope from the US POST OFFICE ONLY - NO FEDEX / UPS / AIRBORNE EXPRESS accepted.
Please do NOT stick the mailing label on the envelope and fill out as follows :
|CONSULATE GENERAL OF FRANCE|
205N. Michigan Ave, Suite 3700
CHICAGO, IL 60601
|Your full name|
If you wish you may collect your passport in person in which case an envelope is not necessary
- The consular administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant.
- Please be aware that submitting the aforementioned documents does not guarantee the approval of the visa.
- Please note that holders of Schengen visas are still subject to immigration control upon first entry into a Schengen country. The visa itself does not grant the right to enter the Schengen space.
Last update : 02/10/2016
 Only for official passport holders. Diplomatic passport holders do not require a visa.
 Only for official passport holders. Diplomatic or special passport holders do not require a visa.
 Only for diplomatic and official passport holders. Machine readable diplomatic passport holders do not require a visa.
 Only for non biometric official passports. Diplomatic or biometric official passport holders do not require a visa.
 Only when travelling on an official visit.